Item image

Cape Lookout Coast Guard Station

The Cape Lookout station was chiefly responsible for providing rescue services in the Cape Lookout Shoals, which extend ten miles into the Atlantic Ocean and represent a significant hazard to coastwise shipping. The station was built as a lifeboat station beginning in 1916 and comprises a complex of several frame buildings. The chief structure is the Main Station, a neo-colonial building with a central cupola or watchtower. It is surrounded by a galley, or mess-hall, equipment buildings, cisterns and similar support structures. The Cape Lookout station operated until 1982, and is now under the care of Cape Lookout National Seashore.